Methodist at Courtney Flats
Methodist minister Richard "Dick" Hancock arrived on the Flat with his family from Arkansas in 1874. He lived in the community for several years. At old Courtney, on the east end of the Flat, both Methodist and Baptist alternated the school house for worship. in the 1870s, 80s, and 90s.
Prior to building "separate" churches for Methodist (1928) and Baptist (1933) both congregations alternated services at the Belleville School building completed in 1917. Located SE corner of current county line and Belleville road intersection. The photo capturing Sunday morning church crowd was taken by teacher Mattie Todd who boarded with Jesse & Julie Black. photo 1917.
On 17 Feb 1926 C.J. and Sue Longest transferred a tract of land in the NE corner of Section 30, T7S, R3W to The Methodist Episcopal Church South, of Belleville Love County Oklahoma.. Both Methodist and Baptist agreed to work together and help build their prospective churches with the Baptist church to be located directly across the road to the north. All members of the community came together and completed the Methodist Church in 1928
Present day photo of Methodist Church built 1928
Present day interior of Courtney Methodist Church at Belleville, OK (2019)