A short history of Rubottom Baptist Church
Rubottom Baptist Church organized as a prospect Church in August of 1891. It was located on Bugscuffle Creek, one mile west of our present location. Split log benches served as pews.
After a time the Church moved to Keltner and met in a rawhide lumber school house. In 1908, the Church moved to Old Rubottom, one mile west and one mile north of this location. The Church met in the Old Rubottom school house. During these years, the Church was a fourth time church only holding meetings in the morning and evening of one Saturday and one Sunday of each month. Conference meetings were always scheduled on Saturday. Revival meetings were held in the summer under brush arbors. Baptisms were held in the Red River, Mud Creek or someone's farm pond.
In 1911, the Woodmen of the World organization buiilt a two-story meeting hall just north of the old school. The Church met on the first floor of this building. In 1924, the second floor was removed and the church rebuilt the building.
In 1936, under the leadership of Bro. Eual Lawson, the building was moved to our present location. A Ms. Jones donated this plot of land to the church.
The Church began to meet twice each month. Bro. J.R. Dickson preached a revival and started a building fund by donating $50.00. The Church purchased an old store building to use for Sunday School rooms and as a place to worship while the old Church was torn down. We had 100 to meet in this building on one Sunday. It also served as our first parsonage. The present building was completed in 1948.
The first services were held April 11, 1948. Bro. W.P. Rowland was pastor and dedication was held April 24, 1949. In 1951, the Church became a full-time Church. The Church name was changed to Rubottom Baptist Church in April 1956.
Bro. Jim Dyer was the first pastor to live in our present parsonage.
Our 69th Anniversary was celebrated August 14, 1960, with Mamie Auld as honoree. She was the only charter member remaining on the Church roll. Ms. Auld was born in 1878, converted in 1891, and was baptized in the Red River. She lived to be 100 years of age.
In 1971, we purchased new pews, pulpit and tables for our Church.
In 1981, the parsonage was remodeled and an extra room was added. In 1982, while Rev. Jamie Hill was pastor, a building was purchased and remodeled into new Sunday School rooms, as pastor's study, and a fellowship hall.
In 1984, central heat and air was added.
In 1985, three permanent Sunday School rooms were remodeled in the basement. Since then we have added a baptistry.
In 1990, a much needed addition became a reality and today we will be dedicating our new addition.
*Centennial Celebration: August 18, 1991
This article is thought to have been written by Rev. Terry Tolbert who is now preaching at Ardmore. He was pastor at Rubottom 1984-87. (article compliments of Betty McCarty)